The Armed Forces Insurance Annual Meeting will be held on 20 June 2024 at 5:00 PM CST. Join Meeting Here

Do you Need Water Backup or Flood Coverage?

Understanding your homeowner insurance coverage can feel daunting, but it's important to know what it covers -- and what it doesn't. Homeowner policies do not cover flood losses or damage from water backup. For some homeowners, water backup is an important thing to add to your existing policy, in the form of an endorsement.

Water backup coverage protects your home or personal property from damage from water backing up. This can be from backups in sewers or drains, from the overflow of a sump pump or water discharges.

Flood insurance, on the other hand, can be purchased as a separate policy. In simple terms, a flood is an excess of water on land that is normally dry, affecting two or more acres of land or two or more properties. It is important to consider flood insurance when reviewing your current coverage, particularly as we head into the winter months. Hurricane season extends through November, and those in areas where snowfall is likely may need to consider the risk of flooding when snow and ice melt rapidly in the early spring. About 20% of flood claims are by those who are outside of FEMA's flood zone, and while they do provide some assistance to some flood victims, the loan is interest-bearing.

Just a few inches of water can mean having to replace drywall, carpet, furniture and more. When just one inch of water can cause $25,000 in damage flood or water backup coverage sounds like a great idea.

To speak to an agent to evaluate your flood risk, call us at 800-241-0338.