Are You Prepared for a Wildfire?
Wildfires often begin unnoticed. Yet, every year across our Nation, many homes don't survive a major wildfire. They spread quickly, igniting brush, trees, and homes. Reduce your risk by preparing now - before wildfire strikes. Meet with your family to decide what to do and where to go if wildfires threaten your area. Follow the steps listed below to protect your family, home, and property:
- Determine best routes to take in the event of an evacuation getting your family to safety.
- Rake leaves, dead limbs and twigs. Clear all flammable vegetation. Remove leaves and rubbish from around and under structures.
- Regularly clean roof and gutters. Inspect chimneys at least twice a year.
- Consider installing protective shutters or heavy fire-resistant drapes.
- Teach each family member how to use a fire extinguisher (ABC type) and show them where it is kept.
- Review your homeowner insurance policy and prepare/update an inventory of your home's contents.
For a full list of wildfire tips, read this resource article: Wildfire: Are You Prepared?